Dear Foodies! Get ready to take your taste buds on an exotic and flavourful adventure with Sri Lankan cuisine! From aromatic spices to succulent meats and fresh seafood, the culinary traditions of the island nation are a feast for the senses. But be warned, the mouth-watering aromas and bold flavours might just make you forget your table manners and dive in headfirst! So come hungry and get ready to experience the explosion of flavours that is Sri Lankan cuisine.
Sri Lankan cuisine is a unique blend of spices, flavours, and textures that are heavily influenced by its geography and history. Located in the Indian Ocean, Sri Lanka is an island nation that was colonised by the Portuguese, Dutch, and British, each of whom left their mark on the country’s cuisine.
Today I am presenting the iconic and irresistible Sri Lankan pork curry and roti. This dish is a perfect example of the rich, complex flavours that Sri Lankan cuisine has to offer. It brings together tender chunks of belly pork, simmered in a rich and fragrant curry made from a tantalising blend of aromatic spices and creamy coconut milk. Paired with soft and fluffy coconut roti, this dish is the ultimate comfort food that will warm you up from the inside out. So, get ready to indulge in this mouth-watering delight that will transport your taste buds straight to the vibrant streets of Sri Lanka!
To make the pork curry, you will need:
- 500g of belly pork and/or shoulder, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- Pinch of Curry Leaves and Pandan leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5g of Tamarind and/or Garcinia
- 2 full tablespoon of roasted Ceylon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 black pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of Ceylon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/4 to 1 teaspoon chilli powder (to your taste)
- 3 to 4 Cloves
- 5g of grated Ginger
- 5g of Lemon Grass
- 2 to 3 Green Chillies
- 300ml of thick coconut milk (can be prepared with Maggi coconut powder)
- Salt, to taste
- Coconut/Vegetable oil
- Mix salt, pepper, and tamarind/garcinia with pork cubes well and leave at least 45 minutes to marinate.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the pork and cook until lightly browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. This will get the meat tender, warm, and absorbent.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Now sauté the onion, garlic, cloves, cardamoms, curry leaves, and mustard until soft and fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Mix the curry powder to the mix and heat for another 1 minute.
- Add the pork back to the skillet and stir to coat with the spice mixture.
- Pour in the coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and cover the skillet. Cook for 30-40 minutes, or until the pork is tender and cooked through.
- Add grated ginger and lemon grass in the last 10 minutes and test for salt and adjust accordingly. This will preserve their fragrances and flavour in the curry. Now it’s done!
To make the coconut roti, you will need:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated/shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup coconut/vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and shredded coconut.
- Add the water and vegetable oil and stir until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough into 8-10 equal portions and shape it into balls.
- Flatten each ball into a thin, round disc.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add a teaspoon of oil and cook each roti for 1-2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through.
Now serve the pork curry and coconut roti together for a delicious and satisfying meal. The creamy, spicy pork curry pairs perfectly with the sweet and savoury coconut roti, making for a truly unforgettable taste experience.